[R-pkg-devel] third part software dependency

Fri Aug 30 15:58:51 CEST 2019

On 30 August 2019 at 07:24, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| On 30 August 2019 at 11:10, Serguei Sokol wrote:
| | I am preparing a new package r2sundials for submission to cran. It
| | depends on third part software
| | (https://computing.llnl.gov/projects/sundials). This will be my first
| | submission of the kind so I am wondering how it is supposed to be tested
| | so that I can reliably check the box "tested on R-devel" during
| | submission process?
| | I suppose that sundials is not installed on windev. And even if it was,
| | I need a particular option in this software (index size set to 32 bits)
| | which is probably not activated in the hypothetical installation. So I
| | cannot use win-builder.r-project.org.
| | Am I supposed to install current r-devel version and test my package on
| | it locally?
|
| The builder.r-hub.io service is a good alternative. It offers twelve
| different platforms, including a few r-devel ones.
|
| That said, it won't have sundials either so you may have to pull sundials in
| during configure or via Make dependencies or ...

An alternative is of course to use a Docker image. I have long provided two
different containers within the Rocker Project that have r-devel (to be
invoked as RD).  You can pretty easily fire up the container, install
sundials and then save it again locally.  Ask me off-line about how if you
need help.

Or, of course, do as I and many others do and just keep a local r-devel build
in /usr/local ....

Dirk