[R-pkg-devel] Finding UTF character in .RData file

Mon Aug 5 17:50:22 CEST 2019

On 05/08/2019 10:51 a.m., Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via
R-package-devel wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> The recent nighty CRAN checks on one of my packages reports:
>
> Check: data for non-ASCII characters
> Result: NOTE
>       Note: found 1 marked UTF-8 string
>
> When  originally submitted this was not the case.  All my data files are .RData files,  and even more so most are binary data.  If they were text files I could readily scan for UTF,  is there a way once I read the data into R to do a similar scan from within R.  I just ran the most recent  (Github) version of devtools::check() and it doesn't report an error.  Or is there a way I can get more specific information from the CRAN nightly build or Rhub or the like?

That message comes when the tools:::.check_package_datasets function
detects a string containing a UTF-8 encoding.  You can run it directly
and you might get a more informative message.  If not, I suppose you
could fix() it and add some extra debugging messages....

It's argument is "pkgDir"; I think that is the directory holding the
files after untarring the .tar.gz file.