[R-pkg-devel] (Not) Reporting minimum R version in DESCRIPTION Depends Field

Fri Jul 26 16:28:57 CEST 2019

   I'd add: as far as I know CRAN policy would only require you to
report the minimum version if your package would fail on one of the
older R versions that CRAN still tests (at present I think this goes
back to 3.5.2).  For regular package developers (i.e.  without the
resources of RStudio) it's a nuisance to install lots of old versions of
R just to find out how far back your package actually works.  IMO it's a
little bit obnoxious (albeit maybe unintentionally so) to prevent users
who are stuck with earlier versions from using your package without a
good reason.
  (For this reason I try to save RData files that are included in my
packages with version=2 so that users with R <3.5.0 aren't left out ...)

  Unless you know that your package depends on features introduced in a
particular version of R, I'd leave it out.  If you find out later from
users that it breaks on earlier versions, and you can't find a way to
enable its use on earlier versions, you can add the dependency in a
later release.

 Ben Bolker