[R-pkg-devel] Rtools path space

Berry Boessenkool berryboe@@enkoo| @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Sat Jul 13 19:03:06 CEST 2019

Hi,

I recently included native code to my package rdwd and have since been getting messages of Windows users not being able to install the source version.
As far as I can tell, the problem is that their Rtools is installed in a path with a space. i.e C:/Program Files.

* installing *source* package 'rdwd'
[...]
C:/Program Files/R/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran    -O3  -mtune=generic -c  binary_to_num.f90 -o binary_to_num.o
make: C:/Program: Command not found

Is my diagnosis correct?
If yes:
Should I just continue to tell users to install Rtools directly at C:/Rtools?
Would it help for install to use shQuote on the Rtools paths?
Should Rtools warn when being installed in "Program Files"?
Rhetorical question @Microsoft: what were you thinking?

Regards,
Berry