[R-pkg-devel] Difficulty installing my package from drat repository

Wed Jul 10 12:14:14 CEST 2019

On 10 July 2019 at 05:53, Alex Hallam wrote:
| I am working on a data package. Due to the size of the package I opted
| to store the package as a drat repo.
|
| I am able to install my package locally, but I can't seem to install the
| package
| from the drat repo. The error I get is:
|
| ```
| Installing package into ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
| (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
| trying URL '
| https://alexhallam.github.io/drat/src/contrib/cfsalesdata_0.0.1.1.tar.gz'
| Content type 'application/gzip' length 134 bytes
| ==================================================
| downloaded 134 bytes
|
| Error in untar2(tarfile, files, list, exdir, restore_times) :
|   incomplete block on file
| Warning in install.packages :
|   installation of package ‘cfsalesdata’ had non-zero exit status
| ```
|
| These are the commands I used to install my data package. The local
| install works, but my two attempts at installing from a remote repo failed.
|
| # This works on my local computer
| install.packages(file.choose(),repos = NULL, type = "source")
|
| # Install from remote (fails)
| install.packages("cfsalesdata",repos = "https://alexhallam.github.io/drat/",
| type = "source")
|
| # Install from remote with drat (fails)
| library(drat)
| addRepo("alexhallam")
| install.packages("cfsalesdata")
|
| My hunch is that this has to do with the tar ball being tracked with "git
| large file storage". This is because the file size of my tar ball is 154.9
| MB which exceeds github's 100 MB file size limit. What options can I try in
| this situation?

Shucks. Should have realized the >100gb issue when I reocmmended drat. We
have GH LFS support as a feature request issue, but I cannot / will not work
on it as I do not have such files or repos ...

Easiest hack: split your data package into chunks < 100gb and use standard more.

Sorry about that,  Dirk