[R-pkg-devel] "Progress reports" for examples in packages.

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Wed Jul 3 01:01:34 CEST 2019

On 2/07/19 11:13 PM, Ivan Krylov wrote:

> Could R CMD check be using valgrind to run the examples? Valgrind has
> to interpret CPU instructions manually to be able to warn about
> results of code execution depending on memory values it considers
> undefined, so it is much slower than execution on a real CPU.
>
> One way to verify that on a GNU/Linux system would be to temporary
> insert system('pstree -aps $$') into one of the examples and look at
> the output produced.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I put the command that you advise in the
first example that gets run and in the file

    ldEst.Rcheck/ldEst-Ex.Rout

I got the output:

>> system('pstree -aps $$')
> systemd,1 --system --deserialize 32
>   `-lightdm,1249
>       `-lightdm,1568 --session-child 13 20
>           `-mate-session,1595
>               `-mate-panel,1772
>                   `-mate-terminal,16032
>                       `-tcsh,18036
>                           `-sh,18204 /usr/lib/R/bin/check ldEst_2.0-15.tar.gz
>                               `-R,18208 --no-restore --slave --args nextArgldEst_2.0-15.tar.gz
>                                  `-sh,18572 -c ...
>                                      `-R,18573 --vanilla
>                                         `-sh,18579 -c pstree -aps $$
>                                             `-pstree,18580 -aps 18579

Nothing untoward leaps out at me.  Certainly no mention of valgrind.

Can anyone see anything in the foregoing output that I should
investigate?  Ta.

cheers,

Rolf

--