[R-pkg-devel] R package manual failing only on R-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc

Zhian Kamvar zk@mv@r @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 18 16:33:43 CEST 2019

Hello,

I'm having a really strange problem that I cannot reproduce locally (Ubuntu
bionic) or on Rhub. I've run into an issue where the R package manual is
failing only on this platform with ancient LaTeX runes that I struggle to
decipher [0]

> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
> LaTeX errors found:
> ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
> fstartlink.
> \AtBegShi using Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
>                                                   \fi \fi
> l.186 \item \code
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> * checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... OK
> * checking for non-standard things in the check directory ... NOTE
> Found the following files/directories:
>   ‘poppr-manual.tex’

The only information I could find on the error was a question with answers
that were more questions: https://stackoverflow.com/q/2765229/2752888

Uwe Ligges was kind enough to trigger a second build to see if this was an
anomaly, but the same incantation appeared again. I've tried building this
on Rhub debian-devel-gcc, but could not reproduce the error [1] and no
other platform does this.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Zhian