[R-pkg-devel] R3.6.0 suppressing S3 overwrite messages

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal roy@mende|@@ohn @end|ng |rom no@@@gov
Sat May 18 22:34:16 CEST 2019

Thanks again.  I use httr explicitly,  I believe hoardr is used by another package that I use.  I don't think the conflict will cause problems given how I am using them,  but your explanation clarifies what is going on for me to check on.

-Roy

> On May 18, 2019, at 1:23 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 18/05/2019 4:03 p.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 18/05/2019 3:42 p.m., Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via
>> R-package-devel wrote:
>>>
>>> My memory is that this was discussed here,  but i can't find the emails, including in the archives ( i did find a similar query from Yihui on r-dev.).  Probably there,  I am just not seeing it.  In the package I am working on for submission,  when I load the package i get:
>> There was a thread about this on R-help, started by Rolf Turner on April
>> 29, subject "Message produced under R 3.6.0.".
>> Users can suppress those messages, but I don't think package writers
>> can:  they indicate true bugs, and the packages mentioned (ggplot2,
>> crul, hoardr in your case) need to be fixed to get rid of them.
>
> Sorry, that claim isn't correct.  For example, hoardr has a conflict with httr, but it's really a weakness of S3 that is causing this:  they both define things with class "cache_info", and the warning you're seeing is because both have print.cache_info methods.  However, the classes are unrelated.  I think the problem is that R can only have one print.cache_info method active, and you somehow got both hoardr and httr loaded at the same time.
>
> Either one of them could work around this S3 limitation by changing the name of the class (e.g. to "hoardr_cache_info" or "httr_cache_info"), but I don't think it was fair of me to suggest some flaw in either of those packages for the collision.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn