[R-pkg-devel] Problem with using parallel runtime system with R

Sameh M. Abdulah @@meh@@bdu|@h @end|ng |rom k@u@t@edu@@@
Fri May 10 17:06:34 CEST 2019

Actually not yet. It is on Github but in a private repo. If it helps I can fork it for public access for now.

Sameh

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 5:55 PM +0300, "Iñaki Ucar" <iucar using fedoraproject.org<mailto:iucar using fedoraproject.org>> wrote:

On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 13:48, Sameh M. Abdulah
 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a C package which includes the usage of the StarPU runtime system to allow running my code on different HW architectures. I included this to an R-package and I found that R is using only one core and all the thread
> initiated by the runtime system is assigned to a single core which impacted the performance.  I used  Sys.setenv(KMP_AFFINITY= "disabled") to disable the default affinity and this helps to allow the runtime system to use
> all available cores. However, even I gained speedup, the R package is still 5X slower than the C package. Could anyone help me to understand the problem better?

Is this package publicly available somewhere?

Iñaki