[R-pkg-devel] Problem with using parallel runtime system with R

Sameh M. Abdulah @@meh@@bdu|@h @end|ng |rom k@u@t@edu@@@
Fri May 10 13:48:13 CEST 2019

Hi,

I have a C package which includes the usage of the StarPU runtime system to allow running my code on different HW architectures. I included this to an R-package and I found that R is using only one core and all the thread
initiated by the runtime system is assigned to a single core which impacted the performance.  I used  Sys.setenv(KMP_AFFINITY= "disabled") to disable the default affinity and this helps to allow the runtime system to use
all available cores. However, even I gained speedup, the R package is still 5X slower than the C package. Could anyone help me to understand the problem better?

--Sameh