[R-pkg-devel] Splitting maintainer from creator

Tue Apr 2 20:40:55 CEST 2019

I think the problem is that MARC terms
<https://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/relaterm.html> don't seem to have
any choices analogous to "maintainer".

Author [aut] A person, family, or organization responsible for
creating a work that is primarily textual in content, regardless of
media type (e.g., printed text, spoken word, electronic text, tactile
text) or genre (e.g., poems, novels, screenplays, blogs). Use also for
persons, etc., creating a new work by paraphrasing, rewriting, or
adapting works by another creator such that the modification has
substantially changed the nature and content of the original or
changed the medium of expression

{Note under "Joint author": use "Author".  There doesn't seem to be a
concept of "primary author" here.}

Creator [cre] A person or organization responsible for the
intellectual or artistic content of a resource

If we were starting again, we might choose maintainer="Editor" ...

Editor [edt] A person, family, or organization contributing to a
resource by revising or elucidating the content, e.g., adding an
introduction, notes, or other critical matter. An editor may also
prepare a resource for production, publication, or distribution. For
major revisions, adaptations, etc., that substantially change the
nature and content of the original work, resulting in a new work, see
author

Other interesting tags:

Conceptor [ccp] A person or organization responsible for the original
idea on which a work is based, this includes the scientific author of
an audio-visual item and the conceptor of an advertisement

Dubious author [dub] A person or organization to which authorship has
been dubiously or incorrectly ascribed