[R-pkg-devel] CRAN incoming checks fail due to non-staged installation

Maxime Turgeon m@x|me@turgeon @end|ng |rom m@||@mcg|||@c@
Wed Mar 13 21:21:46 CET 2019

Hi David,

Non-staged installation is something new in R-devel: https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2019/02/14/staged-install/index.html

Package maintainers can opt out of it (through DESCRIPTION), and I'm assuming CRAN wants a quick way to know if that was the case when diagnosing a submission.

To resolutely opt *in* (which will eventually be the default), you could try adding "StagedInstall: yes" to your DESCRIPTION file.

Of course, one question still remains: why was the behaviour different for the two architectures.

Max
________________________________
From: R-package-devel <r-package-devel-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of David Kepplinger <david.kepplinger using gmail.com>
Sent: March 13, 2019 3:39 PM
To: r-package-devel using r-project.org
Subject: [R-pkg-devel] CRAN incoming checks fail due to non-staged installation

Dear Community,

I am trying to update the pense package on CRAN to fix `autoreconf`
problems, but the incoming checks fail for Windows (r-devel) with 2 NOTEs.

The first NOTE is a HTTP 403 for a http://doi.org URL which I already know
about and can not change, but the other NOTE is more obscure to me. It says

* checking whether package 'pense' can be installed ... NOTE
Found the following notes/warnings:
  Non-staged installation was used

and when I check the install log, it says

install for i386
* installing *source* package 'pense' ...
** using staged installation
[....]
install for x64
* installing *source* package 'pense' ...
** using non-staged installation
[...]

Is this a false positive or is there something I can do to force using a
staged installation for both architectures on Windows?

Best,
David