[R-pkg-devel] Documentation of Rcpp modules

Mon Feb 18 14:41:06 CET 2019

On 18/02/2019 6:08 a.m., Τόλης Χαλκής wrote:
> I am developing a Rcpp package in order to make a submission to CRAN. I use
> modules for 4 C++ classes. I have used the prompt function (`prompt(yada,
> "yada-module.Rd")`) using the names of my modules, in order to document the
> exposed classes. But I still get a warning when I perform the check using
> devtools library  (devtools::check(cran=TRUE) ). The check returns that
> there is not a documentation for the exposed classes:
>
> checking for missing documentation entries ... WARNING
> Undocumented S4 classes:
>    ‘Rcpp_Hpolytope’ ‘Rcpp_Zonotope’ ‘Rcpp_Vpolytope’ ‘Rcpp_IntVP’
> All user-level objects in a package (including S4 classes and methods)
> should have documentation entries.
> See chapter ‘Writing R documentation files’ in the ‘Writing R
> Extensions’ manual.
>

> Do you know a proper way to document a module without getting a warning?

You should be using promptClass() or promptMethods() instead of prompt()
for classes and methods respectively.  Don't throw away what you've
done:  just use promptClass() into a different location, and copy your
text into the appropriate places in it. In particular, you'll likely
need a \docType{class} line, a long list of aliases, and maybe some
special sections documenting the slots, inheritance, etc.