[R-pkg-devel] sf subsetting with square bracket

Tue Feb 5 11:13:50 CET 2019

On 05/02/2019 3:57 a.m., Berry Boessenkool wrote:

> I was pointed to a similar problem in data.table:
> https://github.com/Rdatatable/data.table/issues/2341
> It turns out it is sufficient to import (any random) single function
> from sf.
> The "[" method will then be available as well.
> E.g. with the following line included, the sf methods are available
> without the package being attached first:
> #' @importFrom sf st_sf
>
> Is this cleaner than requireNamespace("sf") because it only loads a
> single function?

It loads the entire package, and it does it unconditionally.  (You can't
*load* just one function; you get the whole namespace loaded if you ask
for one function.  However, you will have access to just that one
function from your own functions.)  You would need to list "sf" in the
Imports: section, and every user of your package would have to have "sf"
installed.

That would be appropriate if your package can't function without working
with "sf" objects.  I don't think it's the appropriate solution for
"osmplotr", because they want to remain small, and the "sf" package is
big.  They want to be able to operate even if the user chooses not to
install "sf", and apparently all but one of their functions can do so.

Duncan Murdoch