[R-pkg-devel] use g++ instead of clang++ on Mac OS

Jan Wijffels jw|j||e|@ @end|ng |rom bno@@c@be
Thu Jan 24 14:57:36 CET 2019

 Hi,

I'm trying to fix an issue with the ruimtehol R package
https://github.com/bnosac/ruimtehol on Mac OS. The package contains C++
code following the C++11 standard. The package is built on Mac OS with
clang++ but I would like to compile it with g++ instead.

The manual on R extensions at
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Using-C_002b_002b11-code
mentions that

> It is possible to specify ‘CXX11’ to be a distinct compiler just for
> C++11–using packages, e.g. g++ on Solaris.

I tried to set such a directive in my src/Makevars file but appartently
failed to set it correctly. How do I set in the src/Makevars such that the
compilation is done using g++ instead of clang++
My src/Makevars looks like this. I appreciate any help on this matter.

CXX_STD = CXX11
PKG_LIBS = -pthread
PKG_CPPFLAGS = -DSTRICT_R_HEADERS -DBOOST_NO_AUTO_PTR -include
compliance.h $(SHLIB_PTHREAD_FLAGS) -I./Starspace/src

SOURCES = Starspace/src/utils/args.cpp
Starspace/src/utils/normalize.cpp Starspace/src/utils/utils.cpp
SOURCES += Starspace/src/data.cpp Starspace/src/dict.cpp
Starspace/src/doc_data.cpp Starspace/src/doc_parser.cpp
Starspace/src/model.cpp Starspace/src/parser.cpp
Starspace/src/proj.cpp Starspace/src/starspace.cpp
SOURCES += rcpp_textspace.cpp
SOURCES += compliance.cpp
SOURCES += RcppExports.cpp

OBJECTS = $(SOURCES:.cpp=.o)