[R-pkg-devel] Imported function cannot be found.

Fri Jan 18 02:50:38 CET 2019

On 18 January 2019 at 11:59, Rolf Turner wrote:

| I am build a package in which there is a function which calls upon the
| function brm() from the brms package.
|
| In my DESCRIPTION file I have the line
|
| > Imports: lme4, brms, glmmTMB, MASS, lattice, Rcpp, rmutil
|
| In my NAMESPACE file I have the line
|
| > importFrom("Rcpp","cpp_object_initializer")
|
| Yet when I call the function from my package which calls brm() I get the
| error message:
|
| > Error in cpp_object_initializer(.self, .refClassDef, ...) :
| >   could not find function "cpp_object_initializer"
|
| Clearly I am doing something wrong.  Can someone please point me in the
| direction of correctness?
|
| Note that there is indeed a function cpp_object_initializer() in the
| Rcpp package.
|
| If more detail is required in order for guidance to be provided I am of
| course more than happy to supply such detail.

Which of these packages uses Rcpp Modules?  Yours?  brms::brm()

It may be more prudent replace

   importFrom("Rcpp","cpp_object_initializer")

with

   import(Rcpp)

which tickles a different initialization for Rcpp. I just checked two Rcpp
Modules using packages of mine, and they use that latter approach.

Hth, Dirk