[R-pkg-devel] Avoiding differences between Examples output on Windows due to tibble

Gavin Simpson uc|@g|@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jan 17 15:36:49 CET 2019

Thank Uwe, I also had some discussions on Twitter with various people
about this.

Thanks to Brodie Gaslam (@BrodieG) via Twitter, a solution seems to be
to set the global option `cli.unicode` to `FALSE` for checking, as
this is coming from the cli pkg.

Hence for my purposes in examples I am using

\dontshow{op <- options(cli.unicode = FALSE)}
\dontshow{options(op)}

around sections of examples that print tibble-based output.

This is a bit of a pain, but as it is already common to reduce
precision on example output, setting this option is just one more
thing to configure if you want to continue using reference Example
output with R CMD check and tibbles.

All the best

Gavin

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 05:15, Uwe Ligges
<ligges using statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

> On 17.01.2019 00:41, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > The latest version of tibble 2.0.1 is printing output (on Linux at
> > least) that contains a UTF-8 ellipsis … instead of the previous three
> > periods ...
>
> Please ask the tibble maintainer what this is about.
> In my opinion this should be changed back.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges
>
> > This is causing some differences between the reference materials for
> > my pkg examples that I generate locally on Linux and the output
> > generated on the Winbuilder system under Windows. In the latter, the
> > ellipsis is not being printed and three periods are being used
> > instead. As such I am seeing the following differences in Windows only
> > un R CMD check:
> >
> > ** checking differences from 'gratia-Ex_i386.Rout' to
> > 'gratia-Ex.Rout.save' ... OK
> >
> > 239c239
> > < # ... with 790 more rows
> > ---
> >> # … with 790 more rows
> > ** running examples for arch 'x64' ... [24s] OK
> > ** checking differences from 'gratia-Ex_x64.Rout' to
> > 'gratia-Ex.Rout.save' ... OK
> >
> > 239c239
> > < # ... with 790 more rows
> > ---
> >> # … with 790 more rows
> >
> > I'm assuming this is going to be an issue for CRAN. If so, what can i
> > do about this? Is there some flag or trick I can use to generate the
> > same output on Windows as I produce on Linux?
> >
> > The full sources for package in question are on github:
> > https://github.com/gavinsimpson/gratia should anyone want to check
> > something there.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Gavin