[R-pkg-devel] Avoiding differences between Examples output on Windows due to tibble

Gavin Simpson uc|@g|@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jan 17 00:41:28 CET 2019

Dear List,

The latest version of tibble 2.0.1 is printing output (on Linux at
least) that contains a UTF-8 ellipsis … instead of the previous three
periods ...

This is causing some differences between the reference materials for
my pkg examples that I generate locally on Linux and the output
generated on the Winbuilder system under Windows. In the latter, the
ellipsis is not being printed and three periods are being used
instead. As such I am seeing the following differences in Windows only
un R CMD check:

** checking differences from 'gratia-Ex_i386.Rout' to
'gratia-Ex.Rout.save' ... OK

239c239
< # ... with 790 more rows
---
> # … with 790 more rows
** running examples for arch 'x64' ... [24s] OK
** checking differences from 'gratia-Ex_x64.Rout' to
'gratia-Ex.Rout.save' ... OK

239c239
< # ... with 790 more rows
---
> # … with 790 more rows

I'm assuming this is going to be an issue for CRAN. If so, what can i
do about this? Is there some flag or trick I can use to generate the
same output on Windows as I produce on Linux?

The full sources for package in question are on github:
https://github.com/gavinsimpson/gratia should anyone want to check
something there.

Thanks in advance

Gavin