[R-pkg-devel] size of package and splitting into 2

William Revelle li@t@ @ending from revelle@net
Mon Jan 14 17:55:59 CET 2019

Dear friends,

For the last several iterations of psych I have received the Note that the installed size is 6.7 MB with two subdirectories greater than 1 MB.

In the most recent submission to CRAN this led to an automatic rejection which then Uwe kindly overrode to allow the installation on CRAN.

In order to make life easier for the CRAN folk, I would like to try to avoid this problem in the future.

The only  way I can see to get around this note is to split the package into 2:  psych and psychTools where psych would require psychTools but psychTools would not require psych.   The presumption is that with appropriate splitting, both packages would meet the 1 MB suggestion.

However, this implies that loading psych still takes up just as much space as before (since it would also load psychTools) and so it is not clear if this is a benefit. It might even be detrimental to the naive user who doesn’t load them both.  It would be useful, perhaps, for those who use psych for the extra features rather than core psychometric ones.  They would just need to load psychTools.

I am not sure how well the splitting would work in terms of solving the problem and before embarking on this exercise,  I would appreciate suggestions as to whether it is necessary (or at least useful).

Thanks,

Bill

William Revelle		   personality-project.org/revelle.html
Professor			          personality-project.org
Department of Psychology www.wcas.northwestern.edu/psych/
Northwestern University	   www.northwestern.edu/
Use R for psychology         personality-project.org/r
It is 2   minutes to midnight   www.thebulletin.org