[R-pkg-devel] Getting started with memory debugging

Michael Chirico mich@elchirico4 @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jan 14 02:48:20 CET 2019

Hello all,

I'm getting started doing some debugging of memory errors and got stuck
trying to reproduce the errors found during my CRAN submission process:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_geohashTools.html

Starting with the clang-ASAN issues, my approach was to try and use the
rocker/r-devel-san image.

Launching with the package directory mounted via:

docker run --rm -it -v
/Users/michael.chirico/github/geohashTools/:/home/docker/geohashTools
rocker/r-devel-san /bin/bash

Building required libraries:

apt-get update
apt-get install libgdal-dev libudunits2-dev

Then installing my Imports/Suggests:

Rscript -e "install.packages(c('Rcpp', 'sp', 'sf', 'testthat', 'mockery'))"

Now attempting to reproduce the memory errors:

cd /home/docker/geohashTools
RD CMD build .
RD CMD check geohashTools_0.2.0.tar.gz

But this is check is successful (I was hoping it'd fail)... I assume the
problem is from the last few steps. The manual says:

> It requires code to have been compiled and linked with -fsanitize=address

But I'm not sure how to enforce this (I assumed it was being handled by how
RD binary is built but I didn't notice any compilation output from R CMD
build .

Any help on getting started here would be appreciated :)
Michael Chirico

PS the source can be found at https://github.com/MichaelChirico/geohashTools