[R-pkg-devel] RData files with identical objects in package

peter dalgaard pd@lgd @ending from gm@il@com
Sun Jan 13 22:00:02 CET 2019

I think it is illegal if you use the lazyload database, because that is indexed by name and contains every object that would be created by data(). This creates an obvious issue if two objects share a name.

Once you use the lazyload database, loading the package creates an environment which is initially full of promises, one for each object. Evaluating one of these makes the actual object appear in the environment.

Using data() causes the corresponding promise(s) to be created in the global environment. IIRC, there is a registry that says which objects are created by which arguments to data(), but as they are still taken from the lazydata database, the last one created with a given name still wins.

-ps