[R-pkg-devel] RData files with identical objects in package

Troels Ring tring @ending from gvdnet@dk
Sun Jan 13 09:38:17 CET 2019

Dear friends - I have a package under creation making heavy calculations on
chemical/clinical data and I plan to include as "examples" the use of some
literature data used in my papers. To illustrate what then occurs, I made
two RData files consisting only of x and y with different values for x and y
like

X <- 100

Y <- 1000

save(x,y,file="first.RData")

and then a new x and y in "second" with x <- 45 and y <- 32

When I put these in a "data" directory of a new package without further ado
in RStudio

Ctrl-shift-L

Ctrl-shift-B

.there is a warning

* installing *source* package 'try' ...

** R

** data

*** moving datasets to lazyload DB

warning: objects 'x', 'y' are created by more than one data call

** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading

** help

  converting help for package 'try'

*** installing help indices

    finding HTML links ...    hello                                   html

 done

Now, when I clear the workspace:

> ls()
character(0)
> devtools::load_all(".")

Restarting R session...

> library(try)
> ls()
character(0)
> x   #-- so even if workspace Is empty x is still kept
[1] 45
> data(first) # and "first" is not seen
[1] 45

x is still present - and y

I have been reading and searching in "Writing R extensions" but so far
didn't find the clue.

Seemingly it is the file with the last name that is assessed - when I rename
first.RData to "xfile.RData" we get 100 and 1000.

Now and then when running ctrl-shift-L and - B we see

Attaches package: 'try'

The following objects are masked _by_ '.GlobalEnv':
x, y

Sorry for these problems -

BW
Troels