[R-pkg-devel] About a need for hooks from R CMD ... commands, and a question

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Thu Jan 10 21:54:55 CET 2019

On 9 January 2019 at 17:57, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
| Did you check Sys.getenv("OLDPWD")? I checked with a knitr vignette
| and the correct path was there.

Code:

[...]

  <<preliminaries,echo=FALSE,results=hide>>=
  prettyVersion <- packageVersion("someNameHere")
  prettyDate <- format(Sys.Date(), "%B %e, %Y")
  user <- Sys.getenv("USER")
  dir <- getwd()
  olddir <- Sys.getenv("OLDPWD")
  @

  [...]

  \date{Built on \Sexpr{prettyDate} using version \Sexpr{prettyVersion}}

  \maketitle

  Built by '\Sexpr{user}' in directory '\Sexpr{dir}' coming from directory
  '\Sexpr{olddir}'.

Comes up with an empty / unset olddir when I do

  R CMD build someNameHere; R CMD INSTALL someNameHere_1.2.3.tar.gz

No mas :-/

Your idea about the logfile is fair, but I would *much* prefer to have
something unconditional.

Dirk