[R-pkg-devel] About a need for hooks from R CMD ... commands, and a question

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Wed Jan 9 17:39:40 CET 2019

Hi Duncan and Iñaki,

On 4 January 2019 at 14:13, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| If you want a total hack, the help system can run R code during a build,
| e.g. \Sexpr[stage=build]{paste("Built at", Sys.time())}.  Certainly it
| could embed some information in a help page; perhaps it could do more.
| Similarly, vignettes are typically built during R CMD build, so they
| might be able to have useful side effects.
|
| But it seems likely that something less of a kludge would be desirable.

A first simple

  [...]

  <<preliminaries,echo=FALSE,results=hide>>=
  user <- Sys.getenv("USER")
  dir <- getwd()
  @

  [...]

  Built by '\Sexpr{user}' in directory '\Sexpr{dir}'.

did not work. By the time that chunk is evaluate, I am already in TEMPDIR.

Any clever ideas about I could inject code into the part that creates the tarball?

Dirk