[R-pkg-devel] About a need for hooks from R CMD ... commands, and a question

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Fri Jan 4 16:43:29 CET 2019

For a few years now I had mused about how nice it would be to have other
scripts triggered like `cleanup`.  For Rcpp, it would be nice to run
compileAttributes(). For roxygen2, it would be nice to run roxygenize()
(especially if that continued to work the way it did, but I digress).
That was mostly a "wouldn't it be nice" question and not that urgent as I
wrote myself littler scripts for most tasks anyway.

But I now have a related problem at work. We are authoring C++ libraries and
R packages 'mono-repo' style. And I need to reference builds of the R
packages back to the repo branches / repo directories used where R CMD build
ran in a branch -- in order to at R CMD INSTALL time access the matching
header files and libraries from that branch.  I do not see an obvious way of
encoding this in the .tar.gz created by the R CMD build step. The best I can
think of is creating binaries via R CMD INSTALL --build instead of creating
source tarballs.

Is there something better I am missing? Any hacks, hints, or ideas?

Dirk