[R-pkg-devel] R package submission - C code does not compile

Michael Kellermann mrkellerm@nn @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Dec 6 19:29:07 CET 2018

Hi all,

I'm attempting to submit an update of our eiPack package to CRAN.  When I
submitted it, it passed the Windows check with no problem (other than a
note for a change in maintainer), but it failed almost immediately on the
Debian check.  The 00install.out file shows that it failed due to an
inability to compile the C code included in the package.  The error message
was as follows:

** libs
gcc-8  -I"/home/hornik/tmp/R/include" -DNDEBUG   -I/usr/local/include
=  -fpic  -g -O2 -Wall -pedantic -mtune=native -c eiutil.c -o eiutil.o
gcc-8: error: =: No such file or directory
make: *** [/home/hornik/tmp/R/etc/Makeconf:166: eiutil.o] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘eiPack’

I updated the package on a Windows machine, but tested it on several
linux systems using the rhub package and never encountered this issue.
I think it has something to do with the equal sign in the following
code snippet

-I/usr/local/include =  -fpic

but I could be wrong, as I don't have much experience with linux.  I'm
sure that I made a mistake somewhere, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to
what to try next.  Any advice would be most appreciated.

Best regards,

Mike Kellermann