[R-pkg-devel] CRAN Non-Triviality Requirement

Barry Rowlingson b@rowling@on @ending from l@nc@@ter@@c@uk
Wed Sep 26 16:33:37 CEST 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Joris Meys <Joris.Meys using ugent.be> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I would argue that one dataset - even a new one - could be added to another
> package. The pizzapoll doesn't look like a scientific breakthrough, but it
> might be a nice dataset for teaching and/or testing new models. So I see
> value in making it available on CRAN one way or another.
>
> If you would consider adding your data to another package, there's a list
> of fairly recent packages on this link:
>
> https://rviews.rstudio.com/2017/11/01/r-data-packages/

I'd suggest putting the data on a public dataverse server like this one
from some obscure institution called "Harvard":

https://dataverse.harvard.edu/

and then it should be accessible via the database R package:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/dataverse/index.html

with the added bonus that it gets a DOI, metadata, access from Python and
any other language with a dataverse API interface.

What don't you get? Visibility on CRAN - but its so crowded now that nobody
can see you anyway.

Barry