[R-pkg-devel] Submission to CRAN when package needs personal data (API key)

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @ending from effectivedefen@e@org
Fri Sep 7 20:18:43 CEST 2018

On 2018-09-07 12:10, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>> I would guess because it can’t. If there would be a standardised way
>> of identifying that the test is run on CRAN, I would use this
>> immediately.
>
> Then your package would fail when I ran the tests, because I don't
> have an API key, and I am not CRAN.  It makes more sense to me to
> treat CRAN the same as any other user who is not the author.

RAINER:  Have you considered writing your time stamp code so it takes it
from originstamp if it's available, and if not switches to some other
external source if there is an Internet connection, and then from date()
otherwise -- with an appropriate warning if it doesn't come from
originstamp?  You can have an option that the user can set if s/he wants
an error rather than a warning if originstamp is not available.  Then
people can use your package without worrying about getting an API key:
That's optional.

       Spencer Graves