[R-pkg-devel] Submission to CRAN when package needs personal data (API key)

Gábor Csárdi c@@rdi@g@bor @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Sep 7 10:27:12 CEST 2018

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 9:01 AM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I think it's useful to think of 3 groups who might run tests:
>
>   - authors
>   - CRAN
>   - other users of a package.
>
> What Hadley was arguing for is that CRAN should identify itself to a
> package, so that by default a package could run different tests for
> CRAN than for other users.  I am arguing that they should run the same
> tests by default.

When are users running tests for packages at all? The tests are by default
no even installed with the package. The only time I usually do this is when
running reverse dependency checks. In this specific case I can easily set
ON_CRAN as well, if I want to replicate the CRAN tests. Or, maybe even better,
I don't set it, and run the extended test suite to potentially catch more
breakage.

> Clearly authors might want more extensive tests like the ones you mention.
>
> I think it would be a good thing if a standard method evolved for others
> to ask for those tests as well.

If they don't set ON_CRAN (which they already don't),  then they get the
extended test suite by default.

Gabor