[R-pkg-devel] Determine subset from glm object

Heather Turner ht @ending from he@therturner@net
Mon Jul 9 17:20:15 CEST 2018

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018, at 8:25 PM, Charles Geyer wrote:
> I spoke too soon.  The problem isn't that I don't know how to get the
> subset argument. I am just calling glm (via eval) with (mostly) the
> same arguments as the call to my function, so subset is (if not
> missing) an argument to my function too.  So I can just use it.
>
> The problem is that I then want to call glm again fitting a subset of
> the original subset (if there was one).  And when I do that glm will
> refer to the original data wherever it is, and I don't have that.
>
> if this isn't clear, here is the code as it stands now
> https://github.com/cjgeyer/glmdr/blob/master/package/glmdr/R/glmdr.R.
>
> The issue is with the lines (very near the end)
>
> subset.lcm <- as.integer(rownames(modmat))
> subset.lcm <- subset.lcm[linearity]
> # call glm again
> call.glm$subset <- subset.lcm
> gout.lcm <- eval(call.glm, parent.frame())
>
> I can see from what Duncan said that I really don't want the
> as.integer around rownames.  But it is not clear what would be better.
>
> I just had another thought that I could get the original data with
> another call to glm with subset removed from the call and method =
> "model.frame" added.  And I think (maybe, have to try it) that it
> would have NA's removed or whatever na.action says to do.
> But that seems redundant.

As you are calling stats::glm, you can use `model.frame` to get the data used to fit the model after applying subset and na.action. So then you can do:

call.glm$subset <- linearity
call.glm$data <- model.frame(gout)

I think this is what you are after?

Heather