[R-pkg-devel] Errors from Suggests or Enhances not in mainstream repositories

Uwe Ligges ligge@ @ending from @t@ti@tik@tu-dortmund@de
Tue Jul 3 00:23:48 CEST 2018

On 03.07.2018 00:13, Ben Bolker wrote:
> I got something similar.  I have a few thoughts:
>
> (1) you should use  "if (require(citrus)) { ... }" in your examples;
> "Suggests" and "Enhances" packages are supposed to be *optional*, i.e.
> examples and tests should be able to run even if they're not installed
> (I would imagine that "Writing R Extensions" and/or the CRAN policies
> say something to this effect, but I haven't checked)
> (2) I can imagine that win-builder is looking for *binary* versions of
> the package (I'm not sure why this would be the default, and why it
> couldn't fall back and install from source, but that would be my
> guess); do you have binary versions, for the appropriate major R
> version (i.e. 3.5 for release, maybe?? 3.4 for oldrelease??), in your
> repo. (In my example, I don't; I was going to try compiling a binary
> version and putting it in the repo. This is a bit of a chicken-and-egg
> problem if you can't get a binary built because the examples fail, but
> if you implement step #1 I think it should work).
>
> My point (3) is a follow-on question that I would love an answer to,
> or hints. I get a *message* similar to the one found in throm's
> win-builder logs, i.e. "Suggests or Enhances not in mainstream
> repositories: ..." - but since it's not labeled as a WARNING or an
> ERROR (or even a NOTE), I am wondering what its status is in the
> CRAN-maintainers' eyes - is it a CRAN-submission-blocking problem? Or
> a "we'd rather you didn't do that but we'll accept it this time?" or

Ideally packages are in mainstream repositories.
For waek dependencies such as Suggests or Enhances, and if the package
is in some repository, you can declare it via the
Additional_Repositories field.
Finally, if not even in a repository, explain in the Descripton field
how to get it.

Best,
Uwe Ligges