[R-pkg-devel] Using shared libraries

Ogan Mancarci ogan.mancarci at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 04:47:53 CEST 2018

I have been looking for ways to use shared libraries in packages in CRAN
and be able to write tests for them.

When installing packages that depend on shared libraries, if a library is
missing from the system we often get a nice error message complaining about
the missing library during installation and listing what to install on
different linux builds, what to install on windows and mac. Similarly, how
can I fail during installation if a required shared library is missing and
show a warning to the users directing them to install it?

More importantly, if I want to write tests and examples for the package,
how do I tell CRAN that it needs to have the shared library?

Cheers,
Ogan