[R-pkg-devel] CRAN write to home policy

Ogan Mancarci ogan.mancarci at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 23:48:06 CEST 2018

This is from  CRAN repository policy:

"Packages should not write in the user’s home filespace (including
clipboards), nor anywhere else on the file system apart from the R
session’s temporary directory (or during installation in the location
pointed to by TMPDIR: and such usage should be cleaned up). (…) Limited
exceptions may be allowed in interactive sessions if the package obtains
confirmation from the user."

I am unclear about the scope of this rule. For instance if I had this
function:

antiSocialWriteLines = function(text, file = 'defaultFile', ...){
    writeLines(text , file, ...)
}

would I be allowed to add it to a package since it writes to a file by
default without asking for confirmation?

Frankly reading this text, I feel like even writeLines itself violates it
as it writes without "confirmation" once you give it a file path.