[R-pkg-devel] Warnings and error message in CRAN Package Check Results

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 01:01:00 CET 2018

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Wenchao Ma <wenchao2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Duncan,
>
> Thank you. I really appreciate your help!
>
> Yes, the Fedora warning is self explanatory, but I'm still quite confused.
> Below are part of my Mstep.cpp file (both functions are in the same file).
> The fedora warned me that, among others,
> Mstep.cpp:62:69: warning: explicitly assigning value of variable of type
> 'int' to itself [-Wself-assign]
>     arma::vec Pj = Calc_Pj(par = par, designMj = designMj, linkfunc =
> linkfunc, boundary = boundary, eps = eps);
>                                                            ~~~~~~~~ ^
> ~~~~~~~~
>
> So, basically, I called Calc_Pj function from Calc_Pj_jac function, but not
> sure why this is not allowed.

The compiler isn't complaining about the function call. It's warning
about all the assignments you make in the function call.

Like Duncan said, the compiler thinks you have something like "i = i"
in your code.  Which you do, for every argument to the function.

You seem to confuse calling functions in R with calling functions in
C++.  C++ function arguments do not have names. They are matched by
position.  Note that none of the other function calls in the file use
"named arguments".

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com
R/Finance 2018 | www.rinfinance.com