[R-pkg-devel] vignette with third party software

Iñaki Úcar i.ucar86 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 16:31:15 CET 2018

>> Dear all,
>>
>> We'd like to submit an update of the "swmmr" package to CRAN, which interfaces the rainfall runoff model SWMM from the US environmental protection agency.
>> The package also includes three vignettes which demonstrate how to run the external model from the R command line.
>> Within the vignettes, the locally installed SWMM model is executed. Of course, the model is not available on CRAN. My question therefore is:
>>
>> How can we pass the incoming checks although processing the vignettes would fail?
>
> If the size of the Example1.inp file is reasonable, you may include it
> under the inst directory and retrieve it as follows in your vignettes:
>
> inp_file <- system.file("Example1.inp", package="swmmr")

Let me add a couple more comments about this. In case you can include
the data file, this has the benefit that you can use it in your tests
too (I've seen that you simply skip_on_cran and skip_on_travis). Also,
I've seen that you write files in one vignette. Note that you should
use the tempdir() for that.

> Otherwise, you may set knitr::opts_chunk$set(eval=FALSE) in the first
> chunk for each vignette, so that your code is not executed and thus it
> won't fail.
>

>> Thanks in advance!
>> Best,
>> Dominik