[R-pkg-devel] [FORGED] Re: How to (conditionally) use an archived package (without Suggests)?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Feb 25 17:25:39 CET 2018

On 25 February 2018 at 15:00, Marius Hofert wrote:
| okay, so (afaik) this is just a github repos which contains an exact
| copy of the github version of the problematic package (here: loon). I

Be very careful with terminology here:

 -- "github repo" is to most people a source code repo
 -- drat uses github and its "automatic webserver" to provide an "R repo", ie
    a repository for R packages (ie .tar.gz, binaries for macOS and windows
    work too if you build them).

I have long joked that I wrote more documentation than code for drat, and it
still confused the hell out of people.  But there are numerous vignettes, a
useR talk I have and of course the long and very detailed paper.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org