[R-pkg-devel] Working with R-devel

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Wed Jan 24 14:03:09 CET 2018

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018, Uwe Ligges wrote:

>>      > On 24.01.2018 03:20, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>>      >>
>>      >> I am going in circles here and have lost my way. I used to have
> means to
>>      >> build R-devel (still do) and use it for local testing (no longer
> do).
>>      >>
>>      >> - Fresh build of R-devel
>>      >> - One entry in .libPaths()
>>      >> - I can install Rcpp, it ends up in that .libPaths()
>>      >> - I can load
>>      >> - With the _exact same settings_ starting R as R CMD check ... I
> fail on
>>      >>
>>      >> ** preparing package for lazy loading
>>      >> Error : package ‘Rcpp’ was installed by an R version with different
> internals; \
>>      >> it needs to be reinstalled for use with this R version

If you are picking up an R 3.4.x that is trying to load a package
built by R-devel you should also see a warning that the package was
built under R version 3.5.0

If you are not, then you could be picking up an older R-devel from
before the internals change. Probably more likely, the Rcpp being
loaded at that point was built by 3.4.x, which would suggest library
path settings are messed up at that point, but not clear why. [It
might be possible and useful to provide more information about the
broken pieces in the error message but I won't have time to look any
time soon.]

At the moment when it matters I usually use

env R_LIBS=<my R-devel library> R CMD check ...

for checks under R_devel

Best,

luke