[R-pkg-devel] Working with R-devel

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jan 24 13:10:54 CET 2018

On 24 January 2018 at 12:00, Martin Maechler wrote:
|     > I guess you actually pick up anotehr version of R.
|     > Carefully check what is on your PATH and perhaps some Renviron files
|     > that may be around?

I did, a million times, hence the frustration.

| Yes exactly.  I've been bitten many times by similar issues in
| recent weeks.
|
| The problem here is that we have so many environment variables
| governing the process.
| I think I have mostly solved this by the following "strategy"
| (Linux/Unixy bash-like shell):

That looks good. I do have ~/.R/check.Renviron which likely gets in the way.
I even tries to (easily) escape from that via Docker but then the most recent
r-devel build on Docker blew up over something with DATAPTR (uggh).

| ------------------------------------------
|
| ## To check: one of
| env | grep '^R_'
| env | grep -E '^_?R_'
|
| ## Before running:
| unset R_PROFILE R_ENVIRON R_LIBS
| export R_CHECK_ENVIRON=~/.R/check.Renviron_Rdevel
|
| ## where my  check.Renviron*  basically only sets R_LIBS
| ---------

The unset trick is good. That may do it.

| [In an ideal world, R functions involved here would *not* start
|  other R processes...  but that seems necessary for other good reasons]

Right.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen!

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org