[R-pkg-devel] Working with R-devel

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 24 12:00:34 CET 2018

    > On 24.01.2018 03:20, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
    >>
    >> I am going in circles here and have lost my way. I used to have means to
    >> build R-devel (still do) and use it for local testing (no longer do).
    >>
    >> - Fresh build of R-devel
    >> - One entry in .libPaths()
    >> - I can install Rcpp, it ends up in that .libPaths()
    >> - I can load
    >> - With the _exact same settings_ starting R as R CMD check ... I fail on
    >>
    >> ** preparing package for lazy loading
    >> Error : package ‘Rcpp’ was installed by an R version with different internals; \
    >> it needs to be reinstalled for use with this R version

    > I guess you actually pick up anotehr version of R.
    > Carefully check what is on your PATH and perhaps some Renviron files
    > that may be around?

    > Best,
    > Uwe

Yes exactly.  I've been bitten many times by similar issues in
recent weeks.

The problem here is that we have so many environment variables
governing the process.
I think I have mostly solved this by the following "strategy"
(Linux/Unixy bash-like shell):

## To check: one of
env | grep '^R_'
env | grep -E '^_?R_'

## Before running:
unset R_PROFILE R_ENVIRON R_LIBS
export R_CHECK_ENVIRON=~/.R/check.Renviron_Rdevel

## where my  check.Renviron*  basically only sets R_LIBS
---------

[In an ideal world, R functions involved here would *not* start
 other R processes...  but that seems necessary for other good reasons]

Martin