[R-pkg-devel] Licensing of an R package

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Fri Jan 19 11:26:02 CET 2018

Chris, on C) even commercial packages have licenses.  If the commercial
package contains a linkable software library, that license is very
important in this discussion, because it tells you (us) what you can do
with that library.

It may say that you can distribute binary code you build with that
library, or that you can link other proprietary software to it, or that
you can do neither of those things.

So the exact license of 'bar' is important to this discussion as well.

There are a number of R packages on CRAN that link to commercial
libraries or require a commercial library to be available (such as
optimization routines), but the exact license of the commercial library
needs to be known, and the desired behavior needs to be permitted.

Regards,

Brian

Brian G. Peterson
http://braverock.com/brian/