[R-pkg-devel] Producing ß in help files.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jan 6 04:41:19 CET 2018

On 06/01/18 16:19, Spencer Graves wrote:

> On 2018-01-05 20:52, Rolf Turner wrote:
>>
>> In a help file that I am writing I wish to cite an item by a bloke
>> whose surname is Weiß.
>

>        Write it "Weiss".
>

>        See "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F".
>

>        That name is written "Weiss" in Switzerland and Liechtenstein but
> "Weiß" in Germany and Austria.  German is the official language of
> Liechtenstein and the primary of four official languages of Switzerland.
>

>        Standard high German has several characters that are not used in
> English but have standard transliterations using the English latin
> alphabet.  These include "ß" = "ss", "ä" = "ae", "ö" = "oe" and "ü" = "ue".

<SNIP>

I'm sure that you're correct, but I find it frustrating not to be able
to produce a symbol (which is readily available elsewhere --- e.g. in
LaTeX or from the keyboard using the "compose key") under the ".Rd"
system.  I'd like to be *able to produce it*, even if I shouldn't! :-)

cheers,

Rolf

P. S.  It also seems to me to be polite --- if that's the way the bloke
writes his name, then  that's the way that I ought to write it when
referring to him.

R.

--
Technical Editor ANZJS