[R-pkg-devel] Portable method of stripping debug symbols

Thibault Vatter thibault.vatter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 00:27:44 CET 2018

Hi,

We faced a problem when we tried Dirk's solution for our package
rvinecopulib: there is a strip binary on OS X but it doesn't work as the
linux one.

As such, to avoid calling OS X's strip which doesn't work, we use:

strippedLib: $(SHLIB)
if test -e "/usr/bin/strip" & test -e "/bin/uname" & [[ `uname` == "Linux"
]] ; then /usr/bin/strip --strip-debug $(SHLIB); fi
.phony: strippedLib

Hope this helps,
Thibault