[R-pkg-devel] File name error

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 18:22:35 CET 2017

Uwe/Kurt, is this controlled by R itself or by the host system?  I
suspect one of my R.filesets tests(*) fails (since a few days) because
of this, but it might actually be a false positive.  I fail to
reproduce it on Ubuntu 16.04 with:

* using R Under development (unstable) (2017-12-20 r73933)
* using platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

My test tries to verify that it can write to tempdir() using its
*relative* path (if such is possible) - a test that effectively does:

> abs <- tempfile()
> setwd(dirname(abs))
> getwd()
[1] "/tmp/Rtmpa9riPQ"
> rel <- file.path("..", "..", abs)
> rel <- gsub("//", "/", rel, fixed = TRUE)
> rel
[1] "../../tmp/Rtmpa9riPQ/file3251441e380d
> cat("hello", file = res)

and fails in that last write on 'r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc'.  It
could, of course, be a bug in my code that is now being revealed, but
these tests been in place for many years, possibly more than a decade.

(*) https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_R.filesets.html

Thxs,

Henrik