[R-pkg-devel] Lapack: undefined symbol: zgbsv_

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Dec 18 00:50:25 CET 2017

On 17 December 2017 at 17:21, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| | ** testing if installed package can be loaded
| | Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘cda’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath
| | = DLLpath, ...):
| |  unable to load shared object ‘/home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-
| | release-gcc/Work/build/Packages/cda/libs/cda.so’:
| |   /home/hornik/tmp/R.check/r-release-gcc/Work/build/Packages/cda/libs/cda.so:
| | undefined symbol: zgbsv_

I just had another poke at this.  You can easily search the R source at
Github via Winston's mirror -- no zgbsv there.  Ditto for the different
copies I still have here of the R versions I packaged for Debian, as well as
current r-devel.

So it is not R. But _current_ (Rcpp)Armadillo has it, and so I spot-checked
against the last version of 7.* series of Armadillo / 0.7.* package for
RcppArmadillo.  It didn't have it.

In short, but relying on (Rcpp)Armadillo, you are submit to it changing its
solver and it seems to have done so recently.  And as R is primarily
concerned with double precision, that version you now need was never
included.

In short, you seem to now have a requirement which R Core _may_ solve for you
in time for R 3.5.0.  Otherwise your users will have to rely on systems with
a full (external) Lapack/Blas and not the smaller embedded one.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org