[R-pkg-devel] Trouble installing XML on Windows 7 (64-bit)

Haigh, Rowan Rowan.Haigh at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Fri Dec 15 18:02:40 CET 2017

Hi Duncan,

Well I finally managed to install XML from source in Windows under R-devel. Basically it was a clue provided by user wlandau-lilly (last message on https://github.com/igraph/igraph/issues/915), and discussions between Gábor and user stewid (https://github.com/krlmlr-archive/r-portable/issues/3#issuecomment-72928971) that lead to success.

1. Download local323.zip from http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/libs.html ;

2. Copy the files in local323.zip/include/libxml2/libxml/ directory to R-devel/include/libxml/ ;

3. Copy entire contents of local323.zip (directories include/ and lib/) to new directory C:/Apps/R/Rtools/local323/ ;

4. Change line 31 of two files `Makeconf' (in C:/Apps/R/Rdev/etc/i386/ and C:/Apps/R/Rdev/etc/x64/),  from `#LOCAL_SOFT' to `LOCAL_SOFT = C:/Apps/R/Rtools/local323'  ;

5. In R-devel, issue command `install.packages("XML", type = "source")'.

Cheers, Rowan
Tel. (250) 363-8718