[R-pkg-devel] Why would src/Makevars be ignored?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Nov 21 21:37:45 CET 2017

Having a bit of a puzzle with a package at work (which I can't share).

In src/Makevars I override CC, CXX, CXX11, CXX14 to point to a specific
(version) of g++ on my system, say g++-x.y.  I also set CXX_STD=CXX14

Only it doesn't work. I need an extra dot.RMakevars and an invocation via

  R_MAKEVARS_USER=~/git/thatpackage/dot.RMakevars R CMD INSTALL .

or else the values from R's default Makeconf come through.

How could that be?  I have invoked R CMD INSTALL probably thousands of times,
and most got it to what I wanted but setting values in it.  What could be
wrong here?

R 3.4.2; Ubuntu 17.04.

Puzzled,  Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org