[R-pkg-devel] Macros in Rd files --- supplementary question.

Georgi Boshnakov georgi.boshnakov at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Nov 11 20:08:29 CET 2017

It is more subtle than that.
\Sexpr triggers the creation of "partial Rd database" which becomes part of the built package (the tar.gz file), although what exactly happens may also depend on 'stage' options of the \Sexpr's.

> ... However when I do the "R CMD  build" thing, when it comes to the
> "* building the PDF package manual"
> step it says "Hmm ... looks like a package" (no shit, Sherlock!) and
> emits a huge amount of verbose LaTeX diagnostics.

I have never seen  "* building the PDF package manual" from 'R CMD build', see below for a sample console output on Windows from a package which contains Rd macros and vignettes. The messages you show seem to come from 'Rd2pdf'. Is it possible that you have some custom script that builds the manual, as well? Also some environment variable may be the culprit.

Best regards,
Georgi Boshnakov

C:\Users\mcbssgb2\Az\Rdevel\bitbucket\countr_project>R CMD build XXX
* checking for file 'XXX/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* preparing 'XXX':
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* cleaning src
* installing the package to process help pages
* saving partial Rd database
* creating vignettes ... OK
* cleaning src
* checking for LF line-endings in source and make files and shell scripts
* checking for empty or unneeded directories
* looking to see if a 'data/datalist' file should be added
* building 'XXX_3.4.1.tar.gz'