[R-pkg-devel] Macros in Rd files --- supplementary question ...

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Nov 10 00:35:42 CET 2017

On 10/11/17 12:00, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

[Rolf Turner wrote:]
>  ...  when I do the "R CMD
>> build" thing, when it comes to the "* building the PDF package manual"
>> step it says "Hmm ... looks like a package" (no shit, Sherlock!) and
>> emits a huge amount of verbose LaTeX diagnostics.
>>
>> "Normally" one just gets the line "* building the PDF package manual"
>> and nothing else, and "R CMD build" just carries on cruising.
>>
>> Evidently defining a macro in the *.Rd file triggers the extra
>> elaboration.
>>
>> It's no big deal of course, but I just thought I'd ask:
>>
>> (a) Is there anything to worry about in this respect?
>
> Of course, never ignore diagnostics.  Worry about every line that was
> printed!
>

>> (b) Is there anything different that I should be doing?
>
> Sounds like it...
>>
>> (c) Is there anyway of suppressing the (ever-so-slightly annoying)
>> extra screen output?
>
> Oooh, that's such a bad idea.  Don't do that.  Fix the problem that led
> to the output.

Trouble is, I don't (a) know if this really *is* a problem, or (b) if it
is, any idea of how to work out how to fix it.

I would like to know if it is "an expected phenomenon".  Does it happen
to other people?  I.e. is there anyone out there who has defined their
own macro in a *.Rd file, and if so, do *they* get a plethora of LaTeX
messages when they do "R CMD build" to the package in question?

I'd love to hear from you! :-)

cheers,

Rolf

--