[R-pkg-devel] Macros in Rd files --- supplementary question ...

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Nov 9 21:29:00 CET 2017

... Mr. Speaker.

On 09/11/17 23:40, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 09/11/2017 5:06 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> Note the % may be a comment?
>>

> Yes, and the body should be written in Rd markup, not R.  Working out
> the appropriate number of escapes is painful; I recommend trial and error.
>
> This worked for me:
>
>   \newcommand{\today}{\Sexpr{format(Sys.Date(),"\\\%d/\\\%m/\\\%Y")}}

Did that, and it worked like a charm.  However when I do the "R CMD
build" thing, when it comes to the "* building the PDF package manual"
step it says "Hmm ... looks like a package" (no shit, Sherlock!) and
emits a huge amount of verbose LaTeX diagnostics.

"Normally" one just gets the line "* building the PDF package manual"
and nothing else, and "R CMD build" just carries on cruising.

Evidently defining a macro in the *.Rd file triggers the extra elaboration.

It's no big deal of course, but I just thought I'd ask:

(a) Is there anything to worry about in this respect?

(b) Is there anything different that I should be doing?

(c) Is there anyway of suppressing the (ever-so-slightly annoying)
extra screen output?

I guess that's really three supplementary questions ....

Thanks for any pointers.

cheers,

Rolf

--