[R-pkg-devel] R CMD INSTALL crashes with recent builds of r-devel

Chris Brien Chris.Brien at unisa.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 13:38:04 CET 2017

Dear list members,

I have three packages on CRAN (asremlPlus, dae and imageData).

The current versions of all three packages can be built and installed using build of 2017-06-27 r72859 development snapshot of R. I am doing this on a 64-bit laptop and a 64-bit desktop, both running Windows 10.

However, in order to upload a new version to imageData, I have been attempting since 23/10/2017 to build it with more recent builds of r-devel. For instance, I have used several builds between Windows 32/64 bit binary build of the 2017-10-29 r73635 development snapshot of R and the build 2017-11-06 r73681 development snapshot of R. In every case it has failed.

When I use

devtools::check("imageData", manual=TRUE, check_dir="D:/Analyses/R", document=FALSE,
                args="--as-cran", build_args="--compact-docs")

I get the following output

* installing *source* package 'imageData' ...
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
In R CMD INSTALL

Running R CMD INSTALL gives similar output:

D:\Analyses\R>R CMD INSTALL --build --debug imageData
In R CMD INSTALL
processing 'imageData'
a directory
* installing to library 'D:/Analyses/R library'
* build_help_types=
* DBG: 'R CMD INSTALL' now doing do_install()
* created lock directory 'D:/Analyses/R library/00LOCK-imageData'
* installing *source* package 'imageData' ...
** backing up earlier installation
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading

In addition a dialog box with the following error message is obtained:

R for Window terminal front-end has stopped working.

I have used rhub to test the installation for all the platforms with the development version that are available on rhub with the same result.

I have reached a dead-end in that I do not know how I can get any further information that would help to identify the problem.

Any suggestions as to how I might proceed towards a solution to this problem?

Cheers,

  Chris Brien

Adjunct Senior Lecturer in Statistics
-----
Phenomics and Bioinformatics Research Centre
University of South Australia
GPO Box 2471
ADELAIDE  5001  South Australia
Phone:  +61 8 8302 5535   Fax:  +61 8 8302 5785
Email:   Chris.Brien at unisa.edu.au
WEB page:  <http://people.unisa.edu.au/Chris.Brien>
CRICOS No 00121B